Salted Caramels with Bitterman's Fleur de Sel
1 cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 three-finger pinches Bitterman's Fleur de Sel, for finishing
1. Line an 8×8 inch square dish with wax paper and then slightly oil the paper.
2. Combine butter and heavy cream in a small saucepan on low heat until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt sugar, water, and corn syrup together on medium-high heat, until mixture dissolves, begins to bubble and turns slightly brown in color (350 degrees F on a candy thermometer). Remove from heat and gently stir in the cream mixture.
4. Place back on the burner and boil, stirring vigorously, until the mixture reaches 248 degrees F (about 10 minutes). Pour into prepared 8×8 dish, then let sit at room temperature until cooled and slightly firm.
5. After 1 1/2 hours, invert dish onto cutting board. Peel off wax paper and cut into 1×2 inch rectangles. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and wrap in 4×5 inch wax paper squares.